Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I am wondering what protects me financially in the case of

Customer Question

I am wondering what protects me financially in the case of death of the payee of spousal maintenance. If he cannot afford much life insurance, can I access his retirement plan? Can he be required to name me the sole beneficiary after 18 years of marriage?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Minnesota
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Yes, but he said that would remain his estate. I don't understand. If he is dead, he does not need his estate, it is meant for his beneficiaries to cover like life insurance after his death, I thought.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can't think of anything. Is this free?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 month ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 month ago.

Hi, how can I help?