originallawyer
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  7+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
74576488

My daughter is divorced, my granddaughter lives with her,

Customer Question

My daughter is divorced, my granddaughter lives with her, doesn't eant anything to do with him she is 16, he just filed a petition to make her go to counseling till she is 18. Stop paying support. can she appeal the decision
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Penna.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: He told her the papers are being mailed, should receive soon
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He's doin this because she refused to be in his wedding. He had a small bank account for her cancelled that . He also was in jail for 2 years for embezzlement,
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for your question! I am working on your answer. This service is for information only. I cannot give you legal advice. Please stand by!

Hello:

Based on the information you've provided, it just sounds like he filed paperwork. It does not sound like a decision has been made yet. If your daughter doesn't feel like it's in the best interest for your granddaughter to be forced in to counseling, your daughter can contest the petition by filing a counter petition. She should attend any court hearings that are set and explain to the Judge why this is not in her daughter's best interest. I do not know what grounds he has to ask to be relieved from paying child support. I doubt a Judge will allow that.

If by some chance he did get a decision against your daughter, she would need to talk to a lawyer immediately. Appeals have a definite time frame and her interests would best be served by contacting a lawyer in her area immediately. We cannot represent clients, but can only provide legal information.