KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
92128996

Can I put a listening device in my own car when someone else

Customer Question

can I put a listening device in my own car when someone else drives it alone
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: traveling frompennsylvania to new York so those three states
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no yhank you
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 1 month ago.

Good morning. Would you be in the car with the other people?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No.
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 1 month ago.

ok.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 1 month ago.

Since the car is traveling through three states Pennsylvania through New jersey to New York, you would be subject to three state laws and most importantly federal law. All three states prohibit the recording of another person without their consent. Under the laws, both federal and the individual states, you may not “bug” or record conversations of others without their consent. It does not matter that the car is registered to you, the law is designed to protect the communication itself.

A little overview, under the federal law Electronic Communications Privacy Act and the Stored Communications Act, which all three state law mirror, it is illegal to intercept or gain unauthorized access to certain types of information. There are two subsections, first, referred to as “Title I,” discusses interception of wire, oral, or electronic communication, and “Title II” deals with unauthorized access to electronic communications held in electronic storage.

Title I is implicated if you are using a voice activated recording device or certain types of email spyware, and Title II is implicated when you “hack” into another's phone to hear the conversation.

So, you cannot legally record conversations in your own car without authorization of the parties.

It was a pleasure assisting you today, and I would appreciate if you would rate my service, so I will receive credit and payment for my work. After you rate the question you can ask follow up questions, and you will not be charged any additional money for the follow-up questions.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 1 month ago.

if you have any follow up questions, please just ask.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 1 month ago.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 1 month ago.