LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

Delaware, yes, Are you connecting me to the same lawyer? Why

Customer Question

JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: Delaware
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Are you connecting me to the same lawyer? Why would a judge not allow alimony payments to count before the decree? I paid 16 months. Not counting that add 2 years to my alimony. Can it be appealed to another judge?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I have been a licensed attorney for more than 3 decades. Please don't confuse excellent service with a satisfactory outcome based on your wants and desires. I can only explain the law to you---not guarantee that you will be happy with the outcome---any more than a cancer surgeon can guarantee a cure.

The reason that the 2 years of spousal support that you were ordered to pay was not reduced by the 16 months that you paid temporary spousal support prior to the decree is because by law you were already legally obligated to support your wife during the period of the marriage until the divorce. Appealing this result will get you nowhere. Just be thankful that you will only pay support for 2 years. Lots of ex-husbands pay for the rest of their lives.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,

Doug