Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

Family court ordered me to start paying child support on

Customer Question

Family court ordered me to start paying child support on 9/2010. The final decree was written 10/2011. Judge wrote in decree "declines to award husband credit for post-separation/preinterim alimony." Does that mean I get no credit for court ordered support before the decree?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Delaware
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What this means is you get no credit for anything you paid anything towards alimony (not child support) up to the time of the final decree. So, if you had given her any money besides child support prior to the final decree the judge would not consider crediting that amount to you.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.