Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My husband and I are not divorced. WE have been apart for 4

Customer Question

My husband and I are not divorced. WE have been apart for 4 years. I have not pushed for the divorce as I have been told I would not be able to receive his retirement if he died. I am buying a condominium. My banker will not fund me until I can show assurance he would have no claim to my property if I were to die. If I legally separate would I still be entitled to his retirement? I invested a great deal of money into his retirement and when he retired we set it up that upon his death I would get it.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help if I can. However, I am unclear about your question.

Why wouldn't you be entitled to any of your husband's retirement in the event of a divorce? Particularly considering you funded part of it?