TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

I need to look into getting grandparent rights

Customer Question

Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

Unfortunately, in most cases, a grandparent has no rights to see grandchildren. The parents have the right to determine who sees and doesn't see their children. However, a court can authorize grandparent visitation of a grandchild if visitation is in the child's best interest, and one of the following circumstances exists:

• The parents divorced;
  • The parent abused or neglected the child;
  • The parent has been incarcerated, found incompetent, or died;
  • A court-order terminated the parent-child relationship; or
  • The child has lived with the grandparent for at least six months.

I one of the above situations exists, then you may wish to file a lawsuit where you seek a court order for visitation. Obviously, I strongly suggest that you retain an attorney for this situation. Winning this without an attorney would difficult.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!). Thank you. :)