LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

BIFURCATE

Customer Question

BIFURCATE
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I have been a licensed attorney for more than 3 decades and I handle family law issues. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. What is your question?

Doug

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When a divorce is bifurcated is that the final date for the division of marital assets or are marital assets included until the date of trial
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.

Good afternoon,

The purpose of a bifurcated divorce is to allow the divorce decree to be issued in advance of the order of the division of marital assets. Marital assets under MN law are those assets acquired during the marriage. As such, assets and income accumulated after the divorce decree will not be subject to division by the court as they are not marital assets. The valuation of marital assets will be made as near as practical to the date of the divorce decree.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug