KimberlyLaw
KimberlyLaw, Lawyer and Real Estate Broker
Experience:  13 years of experience practicing law.
8989662

In a situation where the Plantiff is 17 years old and

Customer Question

In a situation where the Plantiff is 17 years old and resides in South Carolina and the Defendant is 59 years old and resides in Mississippi. The Plaintiff is visiting in Tennessee and travels to Mississippi to see Defendant for sexual purposes. If in fact Mississippi and South Carolina's age of consent is 16 and Tennessee's age of consent is 18, has any crimes been committed in this situation? Also no sex ever happened but sexually explicit language was used by both parties in text messages. Defendant invited the Plantiff to his house to have sex. Please advise. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 1 month ago.

Hello I am happy to assist you today.

The law of the state where the activities took place is what matters here. So if the teen went to visit the defendant in Mississippi and the age of consent is 16, then there would be no crime. The sexually explicit language would still be a crime in a state where the age of consent is 18, but it would not be in a state with a 16 age of consent.

Let me know if this is clear.

Thanks

Kim