LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
63726236

My wife and I have separated. She was in detox for 5 days. I

Customer Question

My wife and I have separated. She was in detox for 5 days. I was asked to leave the home. We own the property together. Am I allowed to return to the property?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 month ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 month ago.

Is there any pending legal documentation? Who

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 month ago.

Who made the request (ie spouse, police, attorney)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I went to the house she told me to leave or she was going to call the police. I did nothing. Did not go inside. Asked her to talk
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We never saw each other or spoke face to face
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 month ago.

Thank you; I am sorry to hear you are having marital difficulties. One party cannot unilaterally "kick" the other person out of the jointly owned marital home; in order for one party to have the exclusive use and possession of the home, this requires a court order to that effect (it's referenced as a move out order). Some separated spouses will apply for temporary relief while the divorce is pending- ie alimony, determination as to payment of debt, move out orders.

But absent this, both parties are equally entitled to the use and possession of the home.

If one party secures a restraining order, then the judge may also (and typically does) order one party to move out of the house.

If the parties are somewhat amicable, they may draft a separation agreement deciding who will have use of the home, who will pay what bills, etc, to help with the issues until a judge may decide what is appropriate.

Since Kentucky is a "no fault" divorce state, if one party voluntarily moves out of the house, this does not affect property division down the road.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 month ago.

Checking in on the above?

I certainly hope this works out with minimal upset as divorce can be very upsetting, but 90% of cases do resolve without trial.

Thank you for using justanswer.com