RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
8534270

Iam a wife of a retired navy. We were mareid for like 24

Customer Question

Iam a wife of a retired navy . We were mareid for like 24 years and he is receiving like $4000 coz of disability i want to be separated to him but not devorse can a get a spousal support. I don't have a job I have a stage 1 uterine cancer am I iligible to get a support.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: What do you mean filed or reported.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 month ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Yes you can do so , legally separate and seek such spousal support.

A legal separation does not end a marriage or domestic partnership. You cannot marry or enter into a partnership with someone else if you are legally separated (and not divorced). A legal separation is for couples that do not want to get divorced but want to live apart and decide on money, property, and parenting issues. Couples sometimes prefer separation for religious reasons.

You do not need to meet California's residency requirement to file for a legal separation. If you file for a legal separation, you may later be able to file an amended petition to ask the Court for a divorce-after you meet the residency requirements.

In a legal separation case, you can ask the Judge for orders like child support, spousal support, partner support, custody and visitation, domestic violence restraining orders, or any other orders you can get with a divorce case.

In your case this is the way to go.

http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Public/LawyerReferralServicesLRS.aspx

This is lawyer referral here above.

I wish you the best

here with all.