Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

Have been married over 30 years.i am permanently

Customer Question

have been married over 30 years.i am permanently disabled.husband makes 100,000.how much alimony should i ask for
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: massachusetts
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no.we are filing ourselves.no minor children.no property.no debt.just need to agree on alimony
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under MA law, alimony is based on your needs and his ability to pay and here is a calculator for you to use to determine how much support you should receive, since it requires more information than just what you told us above and it is something you need to do yourself. See: http://www.massalimonyformula.com/
With a 30 year marriage you would be entitled to indefinite alimony for the long term marriage under MA law. Based on your actual needs and your own income, the MA law provides that spousal support can be up to a maximum of 35% of your husband's income, so you are looking at about a maximum of about $35,000 a year.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.