Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

How do you have to married to get alimony, asking for a

Customer Question

how long do you have to married to get alimony
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: asking for a friend Oklahoma
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: he is disabled been married 9 years no children or property
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using justanswer.com. Give me a bit and I will draft you an answer.

A common misconception is that there is a requirement that a marriage last for a certain number of years before alimony can be awarded. This is false. A court can award alimony in any divorce, regardless the length of the marriage. In Oklahoma, there are two kinds of spousal support available: spousal maintenance and alimony. Spousal maintenance is ordered by the court to be paid by one spouse to the other while the divorce proceedings are taking place. This means from the time he files for divorce until the final divorce decree is issued. Oklahoma courts consider a number of factors when making alimony determinations. Most importantly, Oklahoma courts will consider the length of the marriage and the ability of the spouses to support themselves. The duration of alimony in Oklahoma will be determined based on what is reasonable under the circumstance and the amount of time it will take for the receiving spouse to become self-supporting. Short-term alimony may be awarded to give the receiving spouse time to prepare financially for the separation. On the other hand, the court may award long-term or even life-long alimony after a lengthy marriage and if the needs of the receiving spouse dictate.

So to answer your question, in Oklahoma, courts don't rely on guideline calculations when deciding whether to order alimony, or the type, amount, manner, and duration of payments. The court will look at the spouses’ circumstances, considering the needs of each spouse and the ability of the supporting spouse to pay. The court will also consider the length of marriage and spouses’ ability to be self-supporting.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated. See link for how to rate: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 29 days ago.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?