Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

In the state of Iowa can a child of Thirteen or fourteen

Customer Question

In the state of Iowa can a child of Thirteen or fourteen years old hire their own attorney so that they can change custody to the parent they want to live with?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using justanswer.com. Give me a bit and I will draft you an answer.

Can they? No, but the court can appoint a guardian as litem to look after the interests of the child in any proceeding related to them. This is more of a court investigator rather than an advocate for the child. A child cannot choose the parent for them to live with per se. They can express a preference and if they are old enough and can express their thoughts, the court may weigh this preference in his/her decision. The child cannot initiate a hearing for custody and the court will not allow this.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated. See link for how to rate: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?