Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

If I am disabled, can my husband, as my representative payee

Customer Question

If I am disabled, can my husband, as my representative payee allot part of the payment the we receive from SSDI on behalf of my minor child to pay housing and food expenses?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am afraid that the money for the child must actually be spent on the child's needs directly, so not for rent or food expenses, directly for their needs only not for family needs. The funds are ONLY for your child's needs not to share among everyone. So, you would have to account for everything spent and show how it only was used for the child and not for anyone else in the household.