Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My ex and I attended our Parenting Plan Conference in Tulsa,

Customer Question

My ex and I attended our Parenting Plan Conference in Tulsa, Oklahoma on 10/26/16. We are getting a pro-se divorce. We saw the State's Attorney who completed our temporary order on his computer and he advised us that my ex must pay his child support through The Oklahoma Department of Human Services (OKDHS) because our children have state provided medical coverage.
We were under the impression that the entering of the temporary order by the State's Attorney was going to open our OKDHS child support case. Is this incorrect?
Do I need to open my OKDHS case by contacting OKDHS? Or does OKDHS get information that a case was opened from the Family Court from the Temporary Order that the State's Attorney completed?
***********
Attorney answers
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Correct. Normally, child support will be paid through the state's agency, in this case the OKDHS. This can be done even for temporary orders while the suit is still pending. Did the attorney give you some reason to believe otherwise?

This depends on the jurisdiction. Normally, the order would be forwarded to the agency automatically. However, this does not always happen in real life. In addition, OKDHS will need to know your information as well as that of your soon-to-be-ex such as SSN, employer, etc. Some of this may be written into the temporary orders, but not all. As such, someone in your situation wants to call OKDHS and tell them that temporary orders have been entered. This will then have them (a) ask you to forward a copy to them and provide some information about yourself and the other party, or, (b) have them ask you to provide some information but then get the copy of the orders themselves. So either way, calling them to ensure that they push it through is recommended because they will need to speak with you, regardless.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.