Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

As a "separated" domestic partner am I liable for the others

Customer Question

As a "separated" domestic partner am I liable for the others federal tax liability or debt to the Irs, even if we we were together during the tax year of 2010, and to date they avoided all tax levy notices and did not pay. Am I legally obligated to the federal irs amount due?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Are you legally separated?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I filed for divorce in 2013. Still in process. The tax levy was issued to my ex for a 2010 tax year when we were together. Although for federal we filed separately being fed does not recognize Domestic partnerships.

Thank you for the information.

Your Question:

As a "separated" domestic partner am I liable for the others federal tax liability or debt to the Irs, even if we we were together during the tax year of 2010, and to date they avoided all tax levy notices and did not pay.

Response 1: No, you are not. Unless you are legally married, IRS would not hold you responsible for your partner's tax debt.

Am I legally obligated to the federal irs amount due?

Response 2: No, you are not.