Law Tutor, Esq.
Law Tutor, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  N/A
96078538

In a no asset divorce, and no children, and I make about

Customer Question

in a no asset divorce, and no children, and I make about 8-9k more than my spouse. Do i have to worry about spousal support ?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Tutor, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer (“JA”)! I look forward to assisting you today.

Note: (1) If you want legal advice, please consult with a local attorney before acting or deciding not to act; information given here is for educational purposes only; (2) No specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship is formed herein. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and to JA’s other site disclaimers.

Please give me a moment to write a response and identify any additional resources for you. It may take a few minutes because I am typing an answer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't see an answer will there be one shortly?

In Arizona, spousal support is governed by section A.R.S. §25-319 of the Arizona revised statute. The maintenance order shall be in an amount and for a period of time as the court deems just, without regard to marital misconduct, and after considering all relevant factors. A judge will consider many factors in making a general alimony determination, such as the length of marriage, the financial circumstances of both spouses, standard of living during the course of the marriage, careers, education, skills and training, spouse's contribution as a homemaker, and property awards during the divorce. The judge will also look at the job skills and training necessary for the dependent spouse to become self-sufficient for rehabilitative alimony. You have indicated that you make $8K to $9K more than you spouse per year. That being said, the judge may or may not order spousal support, depending on the factors stated above, as well as other factors provided for in the code section. There is nothing set in stone stating that she is entitled to receive spousal support. But it will depend upon the totality of the circumstance. You may able to prove that she is self-sufficient and therefore, should not be award spousal support. Hiring a seasoned attorney is always recommended. He or she may be able to present a case wherein no spousal support will be ordered. I hope this helps.

Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.

If you have no further questions, please do not forget to leave positive feedback (click on the 5 stars at the top of your page), as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me.

A bonus is not required but is always appreciated.

Here is the link to Section 25-319 governing spousal support in Arizona.