Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
11182422

My wife will not allow me to see my son. We have not been

Customer Question

My wife will not allow me to see my son. We have not been living together for 2 years. She will not even let me know where he is living.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No. I am getting conflicting information as to how to proceed. I went today to the clerk of court, who advised me to hire a private detective.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My wife sent my son to live with her sister in July of this year, without my consent. I believe he is not even in the State of Florida.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ulysses101 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

What state to you live in, and what state does your ex live in?

You're in the Canada Law category at the moment.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We both live in Florida. I believe my son who is only 3 years old is in Georgia.

OK, I'm going to ask the site to move your question to the US family law category. Please be patient.

Expert:  Brandon M. replied 1 month ago.

Good evening. I am assuming that your wife is also the mother of your son. Do you know your wife's whereabouts?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I believe she works for Tampa university.

Ok, so it sounds like you're not quite certain of her whereabouts. What I'm trying to ascertain is whether you could find her for the purpose of serving papers on her.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am certain where she works. I don't no her home address.

Ok, and there's no custody order in effect, correct?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Correct.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you still there?

Yes, last question (probably): how long do you believe your son has been out of state?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He left on 8 July 2016

Ok, the first thing that I'm going to say is that under the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act, if a child is out of state for six months or more, jurisdiction to determine child custody can move to the state where the child resides (in fact, in some cases, it can change in less than six months). This means that if you wait until next year to file for custody and if the child has been relocated to Alaska (for example), you may end up having to fight for custody in the Alaska courts. I recommend that you consider whether you need to file for custody as soon as possible.

​That said, getting a private investigator isn't a terrible idea, but you don't want to end up in a tug-of-war with your child being shipped in and out of state, back and forth between homes. The practical solution is usually to just file for custody, serve the other parent, and then serve her with interrogatories and/or call her for a deposition. These are discovery tools that can be used to compel her to provide information like the child's whereabouts, everyone who has had contact with the child, etc. In fact, it can also be requested that the court order the child returned immediately regardless of where he is located

So how to proceed is up to you, but just filing for custody will usually give a parent the tools that they need to find their child. Let me know if further clarification is needed, and please feel free to leave a rating once you are finished (it does not cost anything extra to do so, and it is the only way I may be credited for my answers.) Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you very much.

You're very welcome. Have a good rest of your evening, and I'm glad that I could help.