Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Illinois. I have a question regarding Maintenance payments.

Customer Question

Hello Pearl,
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Illinois. I have a question regarding Maintenance payments. There was a new law enacted January 1st of 2015 that does a mathematical equation for awarding maintenance. I was curious if "earning potential" could still play a role.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes, the dissolution of marriage is complete. I had a lawyer tell me that this is just how the system works now but I pay an awful lot to an ex who could make 60-80k a year with the two degrees she has but decides to be a school nurse making 25k a year. It maximizes her maintenance earnings.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am going to assume that you are talking about P.A. 98-0961. This essentially reduces maintenance to a formulaic equation, as opposed to using subjective factors as the Courts did before. Under this law, the maintenance award would equal thirty percent of the paying party's gross income minus twenty percent of the receiving party's gross income, not to exceed forty percent of the parties’ combined gross income when added to the receiving party's gross.

Earning potential is not a part of the formula. Meaning, it does not factor into the maintenance.

The only exception is if the Judge believes that the paying party is underemployed on purpose. If so, the Judge can at discretion raise the amount to what the Court believes the paying party can/should be making in the calculation.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.