How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25867
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I had court ordered child support and then signed off on

Customer Question

If I had court ordered child support and then signed off on that because we then made a oral agreement and he has now stopped paying do I have any recourse?
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 6 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 6 months ago.

When you signed off on the support, did you not get anything in writing to evidence and show the oral agreement? Was signing off on the support a condition to this agreement?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No I did not get anything in writing but I did have a witness who heard him say he promised he would never not pay he has a very long history of bullying me. But nope unfortunately I have nothing
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 6 months ago.

Thank you. At this point, you would need to take him back. If there was a previous support order and you signed off in reliance on this agreement and now he is failing to comply, you need to take him back to court. Ideally, the agreement would have been reduced to writing, to avoid this very issue of having to prove it but you can still try and go after him. His obligation to support the child still remains, so you can go back and get support court ordered again.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 5 months ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!