FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

If I had court ordered child support and then signed off on

Customer Question

If I had court ordered child support and then signed off on that because we then made a oral agreement and he has now stopped paying do I have any recourse?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

When you signed off on the support, did you not get anything in writing to evidence and show the oral agreement? Was signing off on the support a condition to this agreement?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No I did not get anything in writing but I did have a witness who heard him say he promised he would never not pay he has a very long history of bullying me. But nope unfortunately I have nothing

Thank you. At this point, you would need to take him back. If there was a previous support order and you signed off in reliance on this agreement and now he is failing to comply, you need to take him back to court. Ideally, the agreement would have been reduced to writing, to avoid this very issue of having to prove it but you can still try and go after him. His obligation to support the child still remains, so you can go back and get support court ordered again.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!