RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
8534270

I need to know if I can legally take my grandson out of the

Customer Question

I need to know if I can legally take my grandson out of the state. His mother abandoned him with her boyfriend and took off with a group of people to party. The boyfriend is not the father, we do not know who the father is. My daughter is Schizophrenic and I have Guardianship over her until next February. I have a sister who can take care of him until I can get my daughter some mental health that she needs, i just need a safe place for my grandson who is only 10 months old.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I have contacted the police in Corpus Christi about her being missing.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am in San Antonio
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer. I’m a licensed attorney with 36 years’ experience in family law, appeals, landlord-tenant, and other types of law. I look forward to helping you today.

Please note:This is general information and not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed, and no attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

Also – I will be typing my answer for you so I’ll be back in a few minutes.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 month ago.

Ray here to help you tonight.Welcome to JA.

As the child's grandmother there is nothing that prohibits you from taking the child out of state on a trip.As long as you meet the child's needs--food, clothing, shelter here it is perfectly fine.It looks like hte child has been abandoned to your care.At some point you may decide to file for legal custody of the child.That way you control if the mother or father if they reappear can visit or have involvement.But there is no problem here with you takign the child for a visit out of state with your sisiter.You are acting in the hcild's best interests and those of the mother.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.Good luck with all here.

I see you are in San Antonio. I am in Austin, go Spurs go.

Let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.If you can rate 5 stars when we are done it is always much appreciated,