How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 26739
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband wanted to separate. He left our home for two

Customer Question

My husband wanted to separate. He left our home for two months temporarily and came back. We are going through mediation and he refuses to go further with it until I get a high paying job. Which may take a loooong time. It is very toxic for us all living under one roof. What should I do? I'm not sure I can afford a separate lawyer. I need to move out but I won't without my children. I'm scared that he is starting to lose it.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: MA
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's it for now. Does this service cost money?
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 8 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 8 months ago.

Good morning. I am so to hear about what you are going through. There is no law which requires him to wait for mediation, until you get a high paying job and he likely wants to do that you avoid having to pay you any support. As such, you can file for divorce, if you desire, which would start the process. As you shared, if you can not work this out and reside in the home, then you do want to file. When doing so, you can ask for temporary custody of the kids, until the divorce is final, as well as support and that he pay your attorney fees, as well.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
wow! Should I tell him to cooperate with the mediation process or I will file for divorce? Or just do it?
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 8 months ago.

What is it that you want to use mediation for, at this time? A separation agreement?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We are going to mediation to create a separation agreement and we plan on getting dovorced. He has decided to cooperate and go to the mediator again next week. We'll see how well he cooperates after that.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 7 months ago.

Yes, ideally, this will be put in place, so that you do not have to rush to divorce as there may be a chance you can work this out and reconcile. As long as he acts in good faith and is willing to try and work on this, it should be worked out. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.