RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
8534270

DOES TEXAS HAVE THE PUBLIC/CONFIDENTIAL MARRIAGE LICENSE

Customer Question

DOES TEXAS HAVE THE PUBLIC/CONFIDENTIAL MARRIAGE LICENSE OPTION AS IN CALIFORNIA AND ALSO IF SO IS THE OPTION AVAILABLE IN THE DIVORCE PROCEEDINGS ???
***** *****ON
DENTON TEXAS
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 3 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

No Texas does not have such a similar law.Marriage licenses are public record. In Texas, no personally identifying and private information such as a social security number can be made public. In the event that a marriage or divorce record with this information is requested, the private information will be redacted prior to release.

To obtain records about marriage and divorce, you can contact a department of health or bureau of vital statistics. The only information you will find from these sources is confirmation of the event and the county in which the event was filed. A county clerk’s office, where a marriage or divorce was filed will have copies of original licenses and decrees.

California really has this because of the large number of celebrities that demanded privacy.Texas has not seen fit to have such a lawyer enacted.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.