Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
16823287

MY HUSBAND IS IN A NURSING HOME AFTER SUFFERING A DENSE

Customer Question

MY HUSBAND IS IN A NURSING HOME AFTER SUFFERING A DENSE STROKE WHICH HAS LEFT HIM UNABLE TO SPEAK AND PARALYZED . mY MOTHER IN LAW IS ACTING CT COURTS FOR CONSERVATORSHIP . I AM MARRIED TO THIS 55 YEAR OLD MAN AND HAS TWO CHILDREN AND YET I HAVE NO IDEA SHY SHE HAS DONE THIS. WHAT MUST I DO TO SHOW THAT I AM HIS WIFE AND MY PLANS IS TO TAKE HIM OUT OF CT AND INTO NYC BY SWITCHING INSURANCE , THIS WAY HMYSELF AND KIDS CAN SEE HIM EVERY DAY AND HELP HIM RECOVER. CT IS FAR TOO FAR AND NO ONE VISITS HIM THERE. AT LEAST IN NYC HE HAS HUNDREDS OF FRIENDS. RIGHT NOW I NEED TO KNOW WHAT RIGHTS DO I HAVE TO HIS WELLNESS ?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 month ago.

If he is still able to read and blink his eyes to understand a "Yes" or "No", then one way to handle this may be to go in front of him with a notary public and video tape this session where he approve you as the conservator and declines to approve his mother on tape and in writing as indicated by his blinking.

Under CT law, a person may specify the individual that he would want to serve as conservator if that became necessary. This can be accomplished through a written document that is witnessed and notarized, such as an advance directive expressed prior to or during a probate hearing. Unless there is a good reason not to do so, the probate court judge usually appoint the person who was requested.

In a voluntary conservatorship, the court appoints a conservator on the request of an adult who seeks assistance in managing his or her affairs, without making a finding that the individual is incapable.

See this link for forms.

Please Note:

(1) The information I provide is general in nature and for educational purposes only. For example, it may help you identify the scope of receiving unbundled legal services from a local lawyer. It should not be construed as “legal advice” or as the rendition of “legal services” on any subject matter. I am not a specialist in any field. This information may not reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction and is not guaranteed to be correct or complete. No attorney-client relationship is established without a signed written agreement and our communications are not confidential. Please do not act or fail to act based on this information alone. If you need legal advice or services regarding a specific matter, you should consult in-person with a local lawyer who can guide you after reviewing all the pertinent details of your situation. This disclaimer also applies to any telephone communications we may have.

(2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours.

(3) When we are done, please assign a feedback rating.