Steven  K.
Steven K., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence
44472555

I have an upcoming Judicial Custody Conference in

Customer Question

Hi, I have an upcoming Judicial Custody Conference in California. I am representing myself because I cannot afford an attorney and cannot find free legal help in the county where I reside. Is it necessary for me to still confer with my ex-husband's attorney prior to the JCC?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I don't have a lawyer now. I can't afford one. We have been divorced for over 5 years. This is custody issue now.
JA: Have formal divorce proceedings begun? At what stage of the process are you?
Customer: Divorce has been settled for many years. Custody disagreement began eight months ago after I had to move out of state due to financial hardship.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not right now.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Steven K. replied 1 month ago.

Is this in Santa Clara County? If so, yes, a Judicial Custody Conference is required, even though you represent yourself. Do you have any other questions?