How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD 1992 Your Own Question
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33153
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JD 1992 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been served with a file for summary judgement in a

Customer Question

I have been served with a file for summary judgement in a case 5 yrs old, from a debt collection firm in south FL, i reside in GA. I attended a mediation hearing over 1year ago, in this matter, and the plantiff did not show. Now 1 year later a summary judgement has been filed against me.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Georgia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: A summary judgement has been filed this week,
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 7 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 7 months ago.

Summary judgement will be entered when there is no genuine issue of material fact. In this situation, you have right to respond and file a motion in opposition to it and I have provided a link below, to the Florida rule of civil procedure which controls and outlines what you need to do. In addition, if this was ordered to mediation and the plaintiff failed to appear, failing to comply with a condition and order of the court, the motion for SJ may not be ripe and you can advise the Judge of the same, asking him/her to stay the proceedings, until mediation is attended, in an attempt to resolve this. If they failed to attend mediation, they should not be able to fil for SJ and you should have filed an answer and raised any defenses previously as well, which they would need to strike.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 7 months ago.

Different expert here. I see where you have asked for a new expert on this question.

This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to helping you today.

I read through the answer provided in the previous question, was there something else you needed to know or something that you disagreed with on the answer? The previous expert is very knowledgeable but I would be glad to try and assist since you requested a new expert.

Related Family Law Questions