Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I just need one question asked. Is there a grace period when

Customer Question

Hi I just need one question asked. Is there a grace period when signing papers, like custody papers?
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: Georgia
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Yes ma'am but I'm unable to call them at the moment
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No ma'am
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry, but no. There is no grace period when signing a court agreement, order, or decree. It becomes binding upon signature.

The only way to "undo" this is to file a motion to set it aside, arguing successfully that one did not have the mental capacity to sign it at that time (which is a very hard thing to prove, of course).

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!