FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

I received a summons. I am being sued by a law firm for an

Customer Question

I received a summons. I am being sued by a law firm for an unpaid credit card. I did try and negotiate the debt with the credit card company but couldn't reach an agreement and then tried to negotiate with the law firm but what they demanded was unreasonable and couldn't be met. I was expected the lawsuit, so I have retained the services of a debt relief service. However, they are waiting until I have made enough payments so that they have 20% of the total debt before they begin negotiating with the law firm. I know I must respond to the summons just not sure how to respond. Thanks
JA: Has a complaint been filed and served in this case?
Customer: I believe so. I received the summons which states I have 30 days to respond. I'm assuming once I respond I will then receive a date in which I will have to appear in court.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No. A big issue for me right now is even though I make a good salary my expenses are so high I really don't have the means to obtain an attorney.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 5 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

How much are you paying this debt relief service? What are they claiming that they will do for you and do you have their promises in writing?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
$365 a month. They will be negotiating with 3 credit cards to try and have the debt reduced and work out a payment plan. Yes, I have this in writing.

Thank you. In your answer, you need to respond to each allegation in the complaint and either admit to it, deny it or state that you are without knowledge. If you admit to it, it will not be disputed and if you deny it, they will have to prove it. In addition, any defenses which you may have, need to be raised as well, which would prevent them from collecting on the debt. You need and should be careful with what you are paying this company for, since if you tried twice, on your own, to get them to settle and they refused, 20% is not likely going to satisfy it either, once you pay them their fees. Your credit may continue to be ruined while they try and settle all 3.