TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

Im in a legal nightmare regarding child support. the case is

im in a legal nightmare regarding child support.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: the case is being heard in ohio but both parents live in georgia
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: i have not
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes. how can i transfer the case from ohio to georgia. and will the case be preserved with previous orders even though it would be moving to georgia

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to help if I can. Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct any necessary research, and type a response. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

ok

Hello again.

If neither the parents nor the children live in Ohio, and instead all parties live in Georgia, then the case can certainly be transferred to Georgia. This would happen by filing a Complaint in Georgia requesting whichever relief the party is seeking, and making the argument that it is no longer appropriate for Ohio to have jurisdiction since none of the parties reside in Ohio. The Georgia court will almost certainly agree that it has jurisdiction, and not Ohio, and then it will rule on the issues at hand.

As for prior Ohio orders, they will stand unless they are in dispute and there is a justifiable reason to change them. They will not be ignored or re-argued or changed merely because of the change in jurisdiction.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!). Thank you. :)

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue.