socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

I have talked to three attorneys. And I am deciding on one

Hi Heather:
I have talked to three attorneys. And I am deciding on one (older, in practice for many years now). What questions should I have ready for him when I meet him (hopefully this Friday). Thank you, Ritu

Different contributor here. Please permit me to assist.

I am a member of the State Bar of California, the Bar of the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California (San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Ventura, Los Angeles, Orange, San Bernardino, Riverside Counties), the California and National Associations of Realtors, and I have comprehensive knowledge of California family law.

In my experience there are a few critical questions which can be used to determine the quality of a California family law attorney:

1. How many family law cases have you accepted during the past 12 months?

If the answer is less than 12, then the attorney is probably not in great demand. If the number is ***** than 36, then the attorney is probably handling too many cases, which means you may get poor service.

2. Of the cases that you have accepted during the past 12 months, how many of those clients have decided to discharge you before the case was completed?

Family law is infamous for clients firing their lawyer before the case is complete. Clients frequently have three or more attorneys during a case, because they believe they're being overcharged or that their attorney isn't winning the case. In truth, there are no winners in family law (except for the attorneys). But, client like to think that what they get from the judge is better than what their spouse gets -- so, they usually fire their attorney if the client thinks that the attorney isn't winning.

The point here is that if the attorney tells you that only a very small proportion of clients have fired him/her, then he's probably pretty good at managing his cases and providing good service for the money. In my view, that's the most important quality -- all things being equal.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Hello again,

I see that you have reviewed my answer, but that you have not provided a rating. Do you need any further clarification concerning my answer, or is everything satisfactory?

If you need further clarification, concerning this matter, please feel free to ask. If not, I would greatly appreciate a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) – otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.
Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you, ***** *****'ve already decided to retain him..what questions should I have ready for him, so that I am informed before he advises me.

You don't need to have any questions ready for the lawyer. If he's competent, he will have questions for you. Typically, your lawyer will provide you with a lengthy interview sheet for you to answer (e.g., length of marriage, where married, names of parties, your former name if different from your married, name, income of parties, property owned, location of any real estate, names on title, savings, investments, retirement, insurance, personal property, fine art, collectibles, jewelry, vehicles, vessels, children, ages, names, who residing with presently, etc.).

If you would like to see an example, I can provide one, but I can only do so as part of a premium services offer, because otherwise, I will be effectively distributing my intellectual property to the entire internet universe for free.

Please let me know if you're interested in the interview sheet.

If not, then, I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!