Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.

I have a complaint hearing merit moot scheduled for Nov 14.

Customer Question

hello.... I have a complaint hearing merit moot scheduled for Nov 14. The only thing that we cant agree on Is the house. The home is now in foreclosure and by the time our nex t hearing it will be 6-7 month behind. I am willing to let it foreclosure because he or I have the money to pull it out of foreclosure. So what will happen at the trial/court date since the only item that we don't agree on it pretty gone.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And to clarify, can you tell me what paperwork has been filed?
Customer: Its in Maryland. I find for absolute divorce and asked to refinance the house and give him $8,000 or we put it up for sell.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: yes he said the courts will probably make us sell it
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the house is foreclosed on and you no longer own it and you do not agree on it, the issue would be, as you said above, moot. If the asset is gone, then there is nothing left to argue about over the asset.
You can't argue over an asset that no longer exists unless you are arguing over pulling the house out of foreclosure and have a plan to do so, then the court can decide how to handle that if someone is going to buy the house out of foreclosure.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.