Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

My husband and I have been unofficially separated for 3

Customer Question

My husband and I have been unofficially separated for 3 months and we have 2 toddlers, how can I get support while we are separated.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: TN
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not yet, we will do counseling first before filing for divorce
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just need to know a course of action to receive assistance for our children. I do work full time.
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 6 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Someone in your situation can do one of two things:

1) File for legal separation. As part of legal separation, the Court can award custody and child support as part of the legal separation; or

2) Simpy file for custody/child support alone, without a legal separation. Then, the Court will award custody/child support as a stand-alone order. If he does not fight you for custody and relinquishes custodianship to you, then the state will often HELP you file for custody/child support on your behalf for free - see HERE.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.