How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25895
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was just wondering is there a way of taking your ex back

Customer Question

I was just wondering is there a way of taking your ex back to court for more spousal support considering I got the shaft I think and I'm not able to live properly and pay my bills
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I know there were no kids involved in the marriage
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I am in Virginia and no I have not talked to a lawyer yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I basically got railroaded into staying the chairman of a non-profit and all the credit card bills that were in my name when we got divorced he got our house Our Land the retirement fund the checking account or savings account and at the time I felt I was being pushed through this and I lost everything and he only gave me $6,000 out of everything and he makes 170 thousand a year I make less than a thousand a month and he's going around bragging about how he put me in the poor house and he actually has and it's come to the point where I'm thinking about bankruptcy but I want to find out what my legal rights are about being a spouse for 20 years and not receiving that 6 grand from this man
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 6 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 6 months ago.

Yes, it is possible that you could take them back and seek to modify the amount of support which is paid. If there has been a substantial change in circumstances since support was ordered or in the alternative, something which was not disclosed but discovered after, then a party can try and file a motion with the court, asking the Judge to modify it, if their needs are not being met.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

So how do I go about taking him back to court for thi .

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 6 months ago.

You would need to file a motion with the clerk of court, in the family division and seek to modify support. In the body of the motion, you need to explain to the Judge why you need additional money and what has changed/happened since this was previously ordered. Once file, a copy needs to be sent to all parties and it needs to be set for hearing.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 6 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 6 months ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!