FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases

I am being harassed and stalked online and by text messages.

Customer Question

hello i am being harassed and stalked online and by text messages. i have saved all the exchanges and he is now saying he is going to hurt me and my children i need to speak to someone asap for i fear i am in danger.
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 8 days ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Who is this man?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
a friend who i knew 33 years ago
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 6 days ago.

Great to hear back from you and thank you for the reply. Yes, the text messages and online messages, need to be turned over to the police and they need to be able to investigate. Depending on the threats and any action he has taken in furtherance of them, there could be a basis to arrest and charge him criminally. The threats and/or harassment may amount to criminal charges. In addition, you can and should go to the court house and file for a protective/restraining order against this man. The threats paired with the text messages should be enough for the Judge to impose the order temporarily and then have it heard to determine if it should be permanent.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
i did that this issue is he lives in FL but said he is on his way to NY where I live to force me to be with him.

If he shows up, call 911. The fact that he lives in Florida, should not and does not allow him to contact and harass you and the court can still impose the order, to prevent him from contacting you.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
final question - how will the protective order be served if i don't have his address? in order for it to be effective wouldn't he need to be served?

Yes, it would need to be served on it. In a situation like this, you would want and need to use a process server, who could perform a skip trace, to locate where he lives, to serve him. You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated Thank you.