Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

We are GRANDPARENTS and were awarded grandparent rights in

Customer Question

we are GRANDPARENTS and were awarded grandparent rights in which we are the 3rd party INTERVENORS . the mother of our grandkids moved 270 miles away to live with her parents and my wifes son (from 1st marriage) lives now alone. we sure custody with him everyother weekend and we have to meet half way to pick up the 6 and 1 year olds. they were never married. my question is the mother refuses to return my text, phone calls etc and we are suppose to get (2) ejectronic messages per week with the 6 year old via facebook messanger. my atty will not do anything unless I make a appt. isn't this a CONTEMPT OF THE ORDER? Also they are telling children I am no longer PAPA. It is unbelievable how botrh parents treat me now as my wife and I did EVERYTHING FOR THEM AND THE KIDS AND CARED FOR THEM 3-4 TIMES A WEEK FOR (6) YEARS
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: WISCONSIN
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: YES, I KEEP A LOG OF EVERYTHING AND SEND THEM TO ATTY. THE FIRSAT WEEKEND THE MOTHER VIOLATED AND DIDINT EVEN MEET US IN THE MIDDLE! ATTY THEN SENT A LETTER OUT. THEY ARE MEETING US NUT NOW HAVE NO CONTACT WITH HER
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: THIS IS SO HARD ON MY WIFE AND I WE JUST WANT TO SEE OUR GRANDKIDS GROW UP AND THEY DESPISE ME ALL BECAUSE I FILED PARTIAL GUARDIANSHIP TO GET GRANDPARENT RIGHTS
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer. I’m a licensed attorney with 36 years’ experience in family law, appeals, landlord-tenant, etc. I look forward to helping you today.

Please note:This is general information and not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed, and no attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

Also – I will be typing my answer for you so I’ll be back in a few minutes.

I am so sorry you are going through this. You are lucky to have gotten grandparent visitation, but not lucky in the way it is enforced.

It is a violation of the order that they are not returning text and phone calls and electronic messages with the 6 yr old. It could be a contempt of court but it is a violation of the order at this point.

Also, there has to be someone done about them not calling you by your nickname "papa" anymore. That is unfair and just sad.

I'm glad you are keeping a log of everything. That is helpful. I advise clients to do the same.

I know the parent(s) aren't happy but that's too bad. You got an order from the court and you are entitled to have that enforced.

Your best bet is to get a local family lawyer to enforce that for you, and if it continues, then file for contempt of court.

You are lucky you got any grandparent visitation in Wisc! Wisc is not easy.

In Wisconsin, the courts strongly protect the rights of parents to raise their children as they see fit, without outside interference. The statutes do permit grandparents, or those who have had a “parent-like” relationship with the child, to petition the court for visitation.

If you need names of family lawyers, I can help you with that. But you are correct-- they are violating the order, and the next step is to bring it back to court for violation and possible contempt.

Have I answered your question? I'm happy to look for lawyers for you if you'd like.