Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

I live in texas and are having problem with my nephrew MY

Customer Question

hello i live in texas and are having problem with my nephrew MY MOM IS CURRENTLY IN THE HOSPITAL AND HE HAS TRIED TO TAKE OVER SINCE HE SAY HE HAS GOTTEN POWER . I AM HERE DAUGHTER IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: HE SAYS HE DID BUT I HAVE NO WAT OF NOWING .I HAVE QUIT MY JOB TO TAKE CARE OF HERE. MY MOM HAS BEEN SEVERLY SICK AND I HAVE BEEN TAKEN CARE OF HER ALL THIS TIME SHE HAS BEEN IN THE ICU OVER 3 WEEKS WASON A VENTILTOR AND NOT BREATHING ON HER OWN. WE HAD A DICUSSION THE DOCTOR SOCIAL WORKER AND MY TWIN SISTER. I MADE A STATEMENT IF SHE WOULD BE ON A FEEDING TUBE I WOULD RATHER NOT BE RESPONSIBLE TO DO THAT DUE TO I HAVE BEEN TAKING CARE OF MY MOM FOR OVER 5YRS. I FEEL MY MOM IS HAVING DEMICHA AT TIMES SHE THINKS OF PEOPLE WHO ARE ALREADY GONE AND AT TIMES SHE THINKS ALL HER THONGS ARE GONE OUT OF HER HOME. SO HOW CAN HE JUST TAKE OVER WHEN SHE STILL HAVE TWO DAUGHTERS AND HE IS ONLY HER GRANDSON CAUSING ALL THESE DRAMA AND BEING DIRESPECTFUL TO ME
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: TEXAS
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: YESHE HAS GONE TO HER HOME AND CHANGE ALL HER LOCKS ALL MY MOM HAS GIVEN ALL HER GIRLS AND GRANDCHILDREN KEYS TO HER HOME AND E ALL HAVE THINGS STILL IN HER HOME
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If he has power of attorney, the only thing you could do is you would have to go to court to file a petition for guardianship and you would need to prove in court that your nephew is not properly taking care of your mom's needs. You have to get that power of attorney removed in order to stop him from causing these issues and the only way to do this is going to court and filing a petition for guardianship.