LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney

My husband and I are separating. He wants to take a car that

Customer Question

My husband and I are separating. He wants to take a car that is in my name only with him for his 16 year old daughter. I'm concerned about the legal ramifications that could fall back on me. He has no boundaries for his daughter and I would have no control of the car. Please advise.
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 8 days ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Expert:  LegalGems replied 8 days ago.

If, during the divorce process, the parties decide to divide assets a certain way and the judge agrees, (the judge will typically rubberstamp the parties agreement unless it appears to be a product of unfairness/duress), then the party can request the court to order the parties to transfer title to the spouse that is being awarded the property. The reason this is done is for both insurance purposes, credit rating purposes, etc.

Basically the owner of a car is liable for any one who drives that car, so if the car is being awarded to the other spouse, title would need to be changed to reflect the change in ownership.

That process is here

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 4 days ago.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;
if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answer.