N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience:  since 1983
9653905

I have a proposal question. We both counter offered in

Customer Question

I have a proposal question. We both counter offered in divorce case. We both agreed on shared care of kids. But the assets we didn't agree on. Before we could rescind offer he already responded and agreed to shared care. My entire proposal was not accepted. Is it binding? Can I still change it?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your question. The answer is Yes, you can change your offer because it was already rejected.

A person had to make an unqualified acceptance of an offer to form a contract. A partial acceptance is the same as no acceptance, and has the legal effect of rejecting the offer.

If I offer to sell you 5 cats and 2 dogs for $25 each, and you say I agree to buy the cats, there is no contract.

I hope this information is helpful.