Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
19958803

I am the husband. We were married in CA in Dec 2013. I have

Customer Question

I am the husband.
We were married in CA in Dec 2013.
I have been abandoned by her in beginning 2014 abroad, then I moved to MD and now I am in DC.
I want to divorce her now asap. How can I do? we have no children nor properties together.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She is Brazilian citizen and I am American. ANd I would need to divorce her asap.
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Can you tell me how long you have lived in DC? and MD?

.

Do you have any idea where your wife may be living?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Dear Mr Barrister,
Thank you for your kind answer. My direct email is***@******.*** .
I actually lived in DC and MD much longer and before the marriage: from 2006. I became US citizen in January 2011. We were living in CA for a few months in 2013 during which we got married. I live now in DC from May 15, 2014 , i.e. the day that I came back to USA from Brazil.
I think to have read somewhere that for marriages celebrated in CA it is possible to denounce the other side for abandonment in cases like this. I repeat: she is Brazilian and we moved there for a few months after the marriage, then I came back to USA, meaning DC, for work and she was supposed to follow me in a few weeks. 7 days after I left, she sent me a short email that everything was finished and she was going to never see me again and goodbye. So, I never went back to Brazil and have no idea where she is now. I think that she is still living there, for what I know.
Fact is that I am American, she is not. She is able to sustain herself and we always have paid each our share of what we did. So, no debts. Well, I sustained her while she was unemployed, but I am not going to fuss about it.
I am interested in closing this chapter as quickly as possible.
I read somewhere that in CA law it is possible in these cases to present the papers, send it to her to the last known address, that after 15 days is considered received for the California law. Then I can ask for divorce.
In order to do start this process I need an address in CA. So, basically I need a lawyer who can just allow me to use his or her office address for my official CA address for this story.
If you agree, for a fair amount of money, I can be your client.
What do you think?
Thanks,
Andrea

You are very welcome...

.

The state where you got married doesn't make a difference in a divorce. It is only where you are living now and whether you are legally a resident there.

.

In order to become a legal resident of a state, you have to live there for at least 6 months. So if you have lived in DC for at least 6 months, then you can file your divorce petition there. You would have to ask the judge to allow "service by publication" since your spouse is not in the country and the judge would then allow you to get good legal service on your spouse by putting an ad in the paper once a week for a few weeks.

.

Then once that time elapsed, the judge would grant you a default divorce judgment and enter an order formally dissolving the marriage.

.

I am flattered, but unfortunately, I am not allowed to represent customers from the site or recommend anyone personally under my agreement with JustAnswer. However, these are a couple sites that we attorneys actually use if we need foreign counsel in a state where we aren't licensed. Further, customers have consistently reported good results with these sites:

.

www.martindale.com

.

www.lawyers.com

.

They screen their attorneys based on geographic location, area of practice, time in practice, cost and customer reviews.

.

If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided as that is the only way I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.

.

.

thanks