RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

If I am being sued by my ex wife and after she filed the law

Customer Question

If I am being sued by my ex wife and after she filed the law suit I got married. Am I obligated to tell the court and her I am now married?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: See is suing me in Arizona and the case is still in Arizona but I live in florida
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Yep
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just do I have an obligation to disclose or is this at my discretion. I am sue everyone will find out over time but do I have an obligation to disclose up front?
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 9 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 9 days ago.

That depends. What is the nature of the suit? In other words, what is she suing you for?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Dispute over a promissory note and deed of trust.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No thanks. I am the only person associated with the dispute.
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 9 days ago.

I appreciate your patience. There's no requirement for you to disclose the fact that you have since gotten married. Your new spouse is not (presumably) a party to the suit or of any relevance to the suit at hand, so no need to tell them.

If you need clarification about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating. Thank you!