socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

I live in California, I am not married to the father of my

Customer Question

I live in California, I am not married to the father of my son. He is on the birth certificate and signed the paternity paper. I have allowed visitation. Today this gentleman is saying he will not give me my son and will be keeping him at his home. There are no custody papers. What action can I take to get my son?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Family Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 months ago.

You can file a petition for custody and support with the Superior Court Family Law department, and you can request emergency temporary custody orders to resolve the dispute immediately.

Go to the courthouse tomorrow morning, and ask for a family law facilitator. That person can help you fill out the forms and see a judge immediately.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Hello again,

I see that you have reviewed my answer, but that you have not provided a rating. Do you need any further clarification concerning my answer, or is everything satisfactory?

If you need further clarification, concerning this matter, please feel free to ask. If not, I would greatly appreciate a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) – otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.
Thanks again for using Justanswer!