Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I am going to arbitration against my former lawyer. Retainer

Customer Question

I am going to arbitration against my former lawyer. Retainer agreement said". ..you will not be charged for time discussing bill. ...if any time the client believes the bill is not reasonable, client notify in 20 days...if not bill statement is correct..
I am looking at statements few charges I emailed, another few charges, I did not let them know because I did not understand and too stressful to dispute my own lawyer.
If I did not dispute in written as retainer agreement, I could not ask at arbitration? I have no chance getting reimbursed?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Regrettably, if you did not dispute the bill within the 20 days after your received the bill as stated in your Fee Agreement with your Attorney, that meant that you did not have any issue with the bill and thus, it is unlikely that the arbitration for fee dispute would be in your favor.

I am so sorry that I do not have better news for you.

All the best,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is there exception?

There could be an exception if for medical reason or something similar you were unable to review the bill within the time stated in your Fee Agreement and after the medical emergency was over, you reached out to the Attorney about your concerns with the bill.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If I emailed said, " you told me no charge, but you charged $xxx " this could be dispute?
Or need to pick clearly which charge?

Response 1: Yes,

Or need to pick clearly which charge?

Response 2: No, you do not have to. Your objection would be fully noted. Then it is up to the Attorney to get back to you and address your concern.

<p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt">A 5-star rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive proper credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a 5-star rating.<p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt"> <p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt">Thank you for your cooperation.