P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
11181181

My in-laws recently decided to not live together anymore and

Customer Question

Hi , my in-laws recently decided to not live together anymore and not get at divorce as long as my father in law supported my younger brother-in-law's need's till he finishes college . But the thing is my father in law hasn't kept his word and my mother in law is trying her best but sometimes its not really enough, now what I was wondering was , since they're not divorced , and they're basically still married is there a way where my mother-in-law can have my father in law sign a contract agreement stating that he has to help support my brother-in-law till he graduates college .
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 4 months ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

What you are describing is referred to as a "post nuptial agreement". It is possible to make such a contract...and enforce the contract if he does not follow it. But you will need to have a local attorney prepare it for you...and, perhaps more important, he will need to agree to the terms and sign the contract.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.