Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
19958803

I live in. Obtained a default divorce judgement because my

Customer Question

I live in KY. Obtained a default divorce judgement because my spouse did not show up. It was uncontested and he did not respond. Now 20 days later he filed a motion to set the divorce aside. The court date has been moved out to Feb 2017. Can I ask my attorney to have the date moved up earlier?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Kentucky
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I have a lawyer. I just need to know what my options are and how to respond to the delayed date
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Can I ask my attorney to have the date moved up earlier?

.

Yes, your attorney would just file a motion to advance the matter on the docket. Pushing this out to Feb of 2017 seems like a very long time to wait for this and I suspect that your ex may be doing this simply to annoy you and delay the proceedings just to be irritating.

.

Your attorney can file the motion and it should be heard on the judge's next motion hour, which is typically once a week in bigger cities, or once every couple weeks in smaller ones..

.

.

thanks