FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases

I need your help. I have a 5 year old son who's in private

Customer Question

Hi , I need your help. I have a 5 year old son who's in private school -kindergarten . He came home one day with bruises, abrasions on both knees and left elbow and was in pain. No report from the school nor school was aware that it happened to my son. My husband and I don't feel safe anymore so we withdrew our son from that school and move him to another private school. We tried getting our money back ( tuition) . Can you help me how to demand our tuition refund ? The principal and the business office is saying that I have to pay 40% of the whole year tuition since I withdrew our son from their school.? We withdrew our son because of what happened to him and not coz for anything else. He's only been there for 19 days.
Thank you for your help. What should I do if they are not returning the refund?
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 13 days ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

What happened when you addressed this with them? Did they look into it and take any action? Did they speak to you about it? I am just trying to get an idea of what the school did, once they were informed?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I talked to them. The principal's reaction was very casual . I have emails. My son has bandaid on left knee and nobody's admitting who put it there. My son was able to relate what happened to him. The principal didn't do anything until she found out that we're pulling our son out from that school
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Is it possible to call me later?I'm about to go back to work. I'm looking forward for your help.

Thank you for the additional information. The school does have a duty to protect and look out for the minor child. In a situation like this, they need to be made aware of it ( which you did) and look into it and take action, to 1) determine what happened and 2) see that it does not happen again. If the school is unable to do so, you would not be expected to keep your child there and continue to pay tuition. In this case, the issue is how quickly you pulled him out and if the contract which you signed, addresses issues like these and if there is a protocol or procedure for them. You certainly have a legal basis that the school is unable to provide a safe learning environment and rely on that and their failure to act. If they refuse to pay, you need to sue them for the breach of the contract and show they failed to perform.