Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

IS THERE A STATUTE OF LIMITATION ON COLLECTING BACK CHILD

Customer Question

IS THERE A STATUTE OF LIMITATION ON COLLECTING BACK CHILD SUPPORT. I'M TALKING YEARS, APP LATE 1970'S PROBABLY.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: SORRY, TEXAS. I UNDERSTAND THE LAW HAS CHANGED RECENTLY HERE.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: NO
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I THINK THE CHILD SUPPORT WAS APP $200/MO FOR TWO CHILDREN. NOT SURE. I REMEMBER THE ATTORNEY SAID IT WAS PROBABLY TOO HIGH. HE NEVER PAID A PENNY AND MAY, REPEAT MAY HAVE SPENT $1000 TO $1500 OVER THE YEARS FOR A PAIR OF SHOES, $100 FOR VACATION MONEY, ETC.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

When the statute of limitations changes, it applies to outstanding debts at the time of the change. And that means, although this obligation was entered in the 1970s, the time to enforce it was within 10 years after the children turned 18. Tex. Fam. Code § 157.005. It unfortunately would be too late to seek support now if the order was entered more than 30 years ago. I'm sorry.

I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. Please rate my answer positively to ensure I am paid for the time I spent answering your question. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Good luck.

Did you have any other questions about this?