Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

Trying to get my 19 year old son out of my home. Indiana, No

Customer Question

Trying to get my 19 year old son out of my home.
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: Indiana
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No have not he making everyone very uncomfortable in the home.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just need some answers it is very hard for my wife and I
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your frustration.

As long as you and your wife are in agreement, you can serve your son with a 30 day notice to vacate. You're not legally obligated to allow him to live with you rent free after he turns 18. As an adult in your home with your consent, he's subject to regular laws regarding a tenant (even if he doesn't pay rent). The notice should be in writing, and it should end at the end of a month (meaning a notice given today would be effective December 1.) You may have any third party adult hand it to him, or you can post a copy on the door to his room and also mail him a copy.

If he doesn't move out by the date indicated, you can go to court and have him evicted.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Did you have any other questions about this?