socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

I divorced in 2010 and have paid alimony since, hasn't mass

Customer Question

I divorced in 2010 and have paid alimony since, hasn't mass state laws changed? can I file to terminate
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 month ago.

Because the new law took effect in 2012, you may still be subject to the requirements of prior law. However, with respect to "general term alimony," which is what I presume you have been ordered to pay, unless your divorce judgment prohibits any modification of alimony, then you can file a motion with the court to modify alimony based upon a "material change of circumstances warranting modification." Changes warranting modification include cohabitation with a new partner by the supported party, disability and reaching full retirement age.

I would have to review your divorce judgment to determine if you have sufficient grounds for a modification or termination. In most cases, the determination can only be made by the court, because the judge has broad discretion to modify alimony.

If you are suffering under an unsustainable burden, then I suggest you may want to have your judgment reviewed to determine if there are sufficient grounds to request modification or termination of the alimony award.

For a reputable lawyer referral, see this link.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Hello again,

I see that you have reviewed my answer, but that you have not provided a rating. Do you need any further clarification concerning my answer, or is everything satisfactory?

If you need further clarification, concerning this matter, please feel free to ask. If not, I would greatly appreciate a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) – otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.
Thanks again for using Justanswer!