RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .

I have an 18yo son finishing up high school live in

Customer Question

I have an 18yo son finishing up high school live in Pennsylvania. He was credit-deficient and is closing the gap by working in the co-op program. He is expected to finish in January. His mother, the non-custodial parent moved to the Trenton area of New Jersey in September. My question is that with Joe being 18 and able to relocate without permission, how would child support law apply? Currently, I do not get support from the non-custodial parent, but I understand that in New Jersey, children must be supported through college. Could he just move to New Jersey and then file a support complaint?
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 14 days ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

The parent here in NJ is obligated to pay support here.The child could file in NJ seeking such support if they are living on their own.The court would hear it and may award support until age 21.NJ child support applies here if he lives in NJ.The thing you need to be careful of is that if child files here in NJ both of you are liable to pay support even if you reside in another state.So the court might award support here from both of you to the child if he files.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

Once he is in NJ he can sign up with the state.